Before you go on your first serious hike there are a few important things that you should do ahead of time to make sure you are prepared. Here are a few of my best hiking for beginners tips from my past hiking adventures:
1. Wear comfortable shoes! The best thing to wear is a pair of hiking boots since they have been designed for the activity. Make sure they are lightweight, waterproof and comfortable.
2. Carry enough water with you. You don’t want to get dehydrated when you are hiking. Experts recommend about 1 liter of water for every 2 hours you will be hiking, although it will depend on the weather and how large you are.
3. Wear a hat and sun screen to protect you from the sun. It is very important to shield your skin and eyes from the glaring sun. I went hiking with a guy that works at a Brainerd tree service, and he had forgotten his hat and was wishing for more shade. The sun can cause more damage than you might think at first, especially if the mornings are cooler temperatures.
4. Wear layers of clothing. When you dress in layers, you can discard items of clothing if you get too warm, but still have enough clothing in case it starts to get cold.
5. Carry a first aid kit with you. Make sure to have basics like band-aids and other essential items in your first aid kit.